Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Are you 60? Do you know it?

I've heard a few kids around the neighbourhood singing a song by LMFAO called Sexy and I Know It. I guess it was inevitable, sitting in the kitchen, I hear Jonah sing with great conviction and garbled enunciation "I'm sexy and I know it". This is the conversation as I recall it:
Me: ooh, Jonah. easy. don't sing that song.
J: huh! why Dad?
M: (uh oh, do I really want to do this) umm, because... umm.
J: (interrupting, as per) why Dad, WHY?
M: its CRUDE, Jonah. Its an adult song, not for younger kids to be singing. they're singing about adult stuff. Where did you hear it? Did you know a kid got expelled for singing it in a school cafeteria (for real, I don't make stuff up! read it on CNN. over-reaction, imo)?
J:WHAT?!? kicked OUT OF SCHOOL?!? wow. Its xxxx's favorite song. Is he going to get kicked out of school?? wow.
M: (oh boy) probably not, we are pretty liberal here. don't sing it ok.
Jonah thinking for a few moments, thousand yard stare...
J: I think I know why its so bad. Maybe people are singing and making fun of people who are sixty... that could be pretty mean.
M: yessir, that would be pretty mean alright.
-diversion time - Is that a fox outside?? right there, look!

No wonder he was confused, one minute singing about being 60 and knowing it, the next on the brink of expulsion from school. The world is truly a confusing place, good thing he has a father that is so totally clued in and armed with wise answers, eh?

1 comment: